Sunday, June 5, 2011

Well Call Me a Coinstar, I'm Loving All This Change: Part 1



It is hard to believe that it is now June. Just yesterday I was ringing in the New Year, wishing it was June. Now I'm sweating off body parts I don't even have, wishing it was the New Year. Funny how that works.

Life has changed so much for me over the past 6 months it seems like the roadrunner from the old cartoons whizzed by, spun me around, & somehow I landed on my feet suddenly engaged, welcoming my fiance's neice into this world, graduating from college & looking at houses! All amazing things, but what a year.

Since it would be a bit much to cram all of these life changing events into one blog post, so I will break them all up. Here goes #1:

I think in order to look forward, or even appreciate the present, you have to look back. I believe that God designed life that way for us, this complex wonderful mixture of memories, emotions, thoughts, & actions. If we can't learn from the past, or even appreciate the steps it took to get us where we are, then our future is hopeless. As my sophomore year economics professor said, but I digress.

I look back at when Chris & I first met. I was 19, he was 23, and I was wearing a vest. One that he liked of course. I caught his eye & he was sneakily talking to my roommate, meanwhile he caught my eye & was praying about him for four weeks before I let myself talk with him.

Back to the vest, I came in late to the Element college group after work one Thursday night. I was worried I looked like a mess after rushing to get there, since there was this "cute name-tag guy" who wouldn't leave my thoughts or prayers. I was one of the last people in, & up to Cute Name-Tag Guy I went, and he said to me, "I like your vest."

Now, there's more to that story, but we've been inseparable ever since. And now, over two and a half years later we are engaged! It still seems hard to believe he proposed hundreds of feet in the air, in an airplane just for us, at sunset over Lake Pleasant.  Say wha?!

Your whole life you wonder who "the one" is. You picture some faceless guy with brown hair, who loves God, who is at least 3 inches taller than you, who doesn't have a drug record, loves his parents, and will love you for the rest of his life. Everything else is a variable, and you wonder which guy will fit the mold.

I just remember looking at Chris, in an airplane, with a ring on my left hand, and that guy wasn't such a mystery any longer. The faceless man disappeared, and here I was looking in the eyes of my future husband.

Now, some of you may be going, please tell me you wanted to marry this guy before you got in that darn airplane. Yes, of course I did! But I also believe, that we are supposed to not look for the perfect future spouse, but instead try our best to BE the perfect future spouse for someone, and let God do the picking.

If you're wondering why Mr. Perfect hasn't waltzed into your living room, while you're sitting there using your Bible as a coaster and not paying attention to any flaws that God-forbid you might be harboring, then there is a sense of full delusion that you seem to have a firm grasp on.

I don't know how Chris & I found each other, I dont know why I couldnt get him out of my head for a whole month before we even spoke more than 3 sentences, or why we ran into each other in the middle of one of the largest Universities in the country. All I know, is that I focused on myself, focused on the woman God wanted me to be and the kind of wife my future husband needed me to be, and let God do the picking.

Needless to say, this worked out great for me, and if you are in the aforementioned situation above, I highly suggest you find a different coaster, and try the same thing. God is a nice guy, and unlike your cat, He listens and even responds (Don't worry, I have a cat. Yes, yes I know he really does listen to you. It's that blinky look he gives you, isn't it?).

Well, as I'm giggling at my little title of this blog, I'm also realizing how late it is. Until the next day when I have free time to reflect on life, adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment